Thursday, July 19, 2012

I'm the Decider

It's usually around this time of year that I start to notice things about my children.  The summer honeymoon period is just about over.   We are having a blast this summer; for sure.  But some things that I am willing to overlook during the school year really start to wear me down. My older daughter commonly argues with me as though before the supreme court.  Her points are often thoughtful, rational and funny.  I love this about her, but sometimes I just want them to listen.  The first time. 

Pamela Druckerman's book Bringing up Bebe (available here) has really opened my eyes.  Although the book focuses mostly on young children, I've really gotten a lot out of it. First, I cannot believe the beautiful meals the children eat at school in Paris.  This is taken seriously all over France.  There is no such thing as kid food and the children eat (or at least try) everything.  AND...they eat in courses.  One example Druckerman gives is: salad of shreded red cabbage and fromage blanc, followed by white fish in dill sauce and a side of organic potatoes a l'anglaise. The cheese course (yes, cheese course) is a Coulommiers cheese and dessert is a baked organic apple. Whoa.






Gateau au yaourt...we made it with chocolate chips.  Highly recommend for snacktime.





Karen Le Billon has also written about this very thing. You can get her book here.





Feast your eyes on this.





There are so many things that stand out in the book besides food.  For example, French children are expected to behave and the parents are in charge.  The phrase "I'm the decider," has already become my go-to.  It totally works.  Druckerman observes that the French have a completely different view of what a child is and what they are capable of doing.  It is very different from how we treat children here in the U.S. Is it perfect? Probably not, but there is definitely something to learn.

And sidebar; this is a whole thing happening on etsy.  You can get one here from Pamela Fugate designs.



 Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...